What's our #1 Snack Attack tip?
Serving sizes matter! Look at what and how much you eat.
- First, choose a packaged food that is one of your typical snacks.
- Without looking at the food label, place the amount you eat on a plate and then use a measuring cup (or count the pieces) to determine your usual portion size.
- Now compare this to what is identified as a serving on the food label. Is there much of a size difference?
Compare different portions of following snacks’ serving sizes:
- 1 oz. (10-15) Potato Chips—about 153 calories and 10 grams fat
- 2 oz. (20-30) Potato Chips—about 306 calories and 20 grams fat
- 12 oz. Soft Drink—about 160 calories and 43 grams sugar
- 20 oz. Soft Drink—about 270 calories and 72 grams sugar
Set a goal for your family to read labels of your favorite snacking foods to learn about serving sizes, and to recognize fat and sugar content!